In preparation for Logos Quiz 2013, here are a few questions from the Gospel of Luke. Today, we will cover the Gospel of Luke from Chapters 1-5 (The Holy Bible, Revised Standard Version). God bless you all!
Answers are given at the end.
- In the days of Herod king of ______, there was a priest named Zechariah of the division of _______; and he had a wife of the daughters of ______, and her name was Elizabeth.
a. Bethlehem, Aaron, Moses
b. Jerusalem, Moses, Aaron
c. Judea, Abijah, Aaron
d. Galilee, Aaron, Abijah
- The angel of the Lord spoke the following to Zechariah – “‘I am _______, who stand in the presence of God, and I have sent to speak to you, and to bring you this good news.”
a. the Angel of God
d. bearer of good news
- After those days his wife Elizabeth conceived, and for ______ months she hid herself, saying, “Thus the Lord has done to me in the days when he looked on me, to take away my reproach among men.”
- In the _______ month the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city of _______ named _______, to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin’s name was Mary.
a. fifth, Jerusalem, Galilee
b. sixth, Galilee, Nazareth
c. seventh, Judea, Galilee
d. fourth, Judea, Bethlehem
- “And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus. He will be great, and will be called ________, and the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father ______ and he will reign over the house of _____ for ever;”
a. the Son of the Most High, David, Jacob
b. the Son of God, Abraham, Joseph
c. Emmanuel, Jacob, David
d. Saviour, Isaac, Israel
- In those days Mary arose and went with haste into the hill country, to a city of _____, and she entered the house of Zechariah and greeted Elizabeth.
- ” For behold, henceforth all generations will call me _______; for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name. And his ______ is on those who fear him from generation to generation.”
a. favored one, love
b. mother of God, kindness
c. blessed, mercy
d. holy, salvation
- For how many months did Mary remain with Elizabeth?
- And his father Zechariah was filled with the Holy Spirit, and prophesied saying, “Blessed be the Lord God of ______, for he has visited and redeemed his people, and has raised a horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant ______, ”
a. David, Abraham
b. Israel, Moses
c. Abraham, Moses
d. Israel, David
- Zechariah prophesied:”And you, child, will be called the _________; for you will go before the Lord to prepare his ways…’
a. servant of God
b. prophet of the Most High
c. testimony of light
d. prophet of the Lord
- In those days a decree went out from Caesar _______ that all the world should be enrolled. This was the first enrollment, when __________ was governor of ________.
a. Augustus, Quirinius, Syria
b. Augustine, Pilate, Judea
c. Annas, Herod, Galilee
d. Quirinius, Augustus, Judea
- And Joseph also went from up from Galilee from the city of ______, to Judea, to the city of David which is called ______, because he was of the house and lineage of David.
a. Nazareth, Bethlehem
b. Jerusalem, Galilee
c. Israel, Bethlehem
d. Bethlehem, Jerusalem
- The angel said to the shepherds: “Be not afraid: for behold, I bring you good news of a great joy which will come to all the people; for to you is born this day in the city of _____ a ________, who is the ________, the Lord.”
a. David, Saviour, Christ
b. Judea, Messiah, Emmanuel
c. Bethlehem, baby, Son of
d. Galilee, Saviour, Messiah
- And at the end of _____ days, when he was circumcised, he was called Jesus, the name given by the angel before he was conceived in the womb.
c. three months
- And when the time came for their purification according to the law of ______, they brought him up to ______ to present him to the Lord (as it is written in the law of the Lord, “Every male that opens the womb shall be called holy to the Lord”)
a. Abraham, the temple
b. Israel, Simeon
c. the Jews, Jerusalem
d. Moses, Jerusalem
- And there was a prophetess, Anna the daughter of _______, of the tribe of ______; she was of a great age, having lived with her husband for seven years from her virginity, and as a widow till she was _______.
a. David, Judea, seventy-four
b. Aaron, David, ninety-five
c. Phanuel, Asher, eighty-four
d. Phinis, Samaria, eighty-eight
- When they had performed everything according by the law of the Lord, they returned into _______, to their own city, _______.
a. Galilee, Nazareth
b. Judea, Nazareth
c. Judea, Bethlehem
d. Nazareth, Bethlehem
- And the child grew and became ____, filled with _____; and the ____ of God was upon him.
a. strong, love, mercy
b. strong, knowledge, mercy
c. strong, wisdom, favor
d. wise, knowledge, kindness
- And he went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was obedient to them; and his mother kept all these things in her heart. And Jesus increased in _____ and in stature, and in _____ with God and men.
a. age, love
b. wisdom, kindness
c. wisdom, favour
d. love, wisdom
- In the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caeser, Pontius Pilate being governor of ________, and Herod being tetrarch of Galilee, and his brother _______ tetrarch of the region of Ituraea and Trachonitis, and _______ tetrarch of Abilene, in the high priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas….
a. Judea, Philip, Lysanias
b. Syria, Augustus, Phinuel
c. Rome, Jacob, Manisas
d. Nazareth, David, Quirinius
- The word of God came to John the son of Zechariah in the wilderness, and he went into all the region about the ________, preaching a baptism of _______ for the forgiveness of sins.
a. town of Judea, water
b. Sea of Galilee, water
c. Jordan, repentance
d. city of David, forgiveness
- Now when all the people were baptized, and when Jesus also had been baptized and was praying, the heaven was opened, and the Holy Spirit descended upon him in bodily form, as a dove, and a voice came from heaven, “You are my _________; with you I am well pleased.”
b. beloved Son
c. dear Son
d. only begotten Son
- And Jesus full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the _______, and was led by the Spirit for _____ days in the wilderness, tempted by the devil.
a. Jordan, forty
b. city, fifty
c. dessert, forty
d. city of Judea, forty four
- And he came to _______. where he had been brought up; and he went to the ________, as was his custom, on the sabbath day. And he stood up to read; and there was given to him the book of the prophet ______.
a. Bethlehem, temple, Isaiah
b. Galilee, synagogue, Jeremiah
c. Nazareth, synagogue, Isaiah
d. Jerusalem, temple, Elijah
- He opened the book and found the place where it was written, ” The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has ______ me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to the ________ and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.”
a. anointed, captives
b. appointed, prisoners
c. instructed, sinners
d. sent, people of Israel
- And he went down to _________, a city of Galilee. And he was teaching them on the sabbath; and they were astonished at his teaching for his word was with authority. And in the synagogue there was a man who had the spirit of an unclean demon;
- While the people pressed upon him to hear the word of God, he was standing by the _______________. And he saw two boats by the lake; but the fishermen had gone out of them and were washing their nets.
a. Sea of Galilee
b. river Jordan
c. lake of Gennasaret
d. river Tiber
- Who said to Jesus: “Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord.”
- Who were the sons of Zebedee?
a. Peter and Andrew
b. James and Simon
c. James and John
d. Simon and John
- Who fell on his face and begged Jesus saying : “Lord, if you will, you can make me clean.”?
a. the man with dropsy
b. the man with paralysis
c. the man with the unclean spirit
d. the man with leprosy
- “But that you may know that the _______ has authority on earth to ______” – he said to the man who was paralyzed – “I say to you, rise, take up your bed and go home.”
a. Son of the Most High, heal
b. Son of God, forgive
c. Son of man, forgive sins
d. Christ, heal many
- After this he went out, and saw a tax collector, named ________ , sitting at the tax office; and he said to him, “Follow me.” And he left everything, and rose and followed him.
- And they said to him, “The disciples of _____ fast often and offer ________, and so do the disciples of _____, but your eat and drink.”
a. John, prayers, the Pharisees
b. Moses, sacrifice, John
c. Levi, alms, John
d. the Scribes, alms, John
- c. Judea, Abijah, Aaron (Luke 1:5)
- b. Gabriel (Luke 1:19)
- c. five (Luke 1: 24)
- b. sixth, Galilee, Nazareth (Luke 1: 26)
- a. the Son of the Most High, David, Jacob (Luke 1:32-33)
- c. Judah (Luke 1: 39-40)
- c. blessed, mercy (Luke 1:50)
- b. three (Luke 1: 56)
- d. Israel, David (Luke 1: 67)
- b. prophet of the Most High (Luke 1: 76)
- a. Augustus, Quirinius, Syria (Luke 2:1-2)
- a. Galilee, Bethlehem (Luke 2: 4)
- a. David, Saviour, Christ (Luke 2:11)
- d. eight (Luke 2: 21)
- d. Moses, Jerusalem (Luke 2: 22-23)
- c. Phanuel, Asher, eighty-four (Luke 2: 36-37)
- a. Galilee, Nazareth (Luke 2:39)
- c. strong, wisdom, favor (Luke 2: 40)
- c. wisdom, favour (Luke 2:52)
- a. Judea, Philip, Lysanias (Luke 3:1-2)
- c. Jordan, repentance (Luke 3:3)
- b. beloved Son (Luke 3: 21-22)
- a. Jordan, forty (Luke 4: 1-2)
- c. Nazareth, synagogue, Isaiah (Luke 4: 16-17)
- a. anointed, captives (Luke 4: 17-18)
- c. Capernaum (Luke 4: 31-33)
- c. lake of Gennasaret (Luke 5: 1-2)
- b. Simon (Luke 5: 8)
- c. James and John (Luke 5: 10)
- d. the man with leprosy (Luke 5: 12)
- c. Son of man, forgive sins (Luke 5: 24)
- a. Levi (Luke 5: 27-28)
- a. John, prayers, the Pharisees (Luke 5: 33)