The Chaplet of Divine Mercy is a powerful prayer revealed by Lord Jesus Christ to Saint Maria Faustina. According to Sister Faustina’s visions, written in her diary, the chaplet’s prayers for mercy are threefold: to obtain mercy, to trust in Christ’s mercy, and to show mercy to others. The Lord encouraged everyone to say this Chaplet of Mercy, especially for the dying, promising extraordinary graces to those who recite this special prayer. Jesus also promised that anything can be obtained with this prayer if it is compatible with His will.
According to Roman Catholic tradition, the chaplet may be said at any time, but it is said especially on Divine Mercy Sunday and Fridays at 3:00 PM. The Feast of the Divine Mercy or Divine Mercy Sunday falls on the Octave of Easter (the Sunday immediately following Easter). The Lord specifically asked that this Chaplet be recited as a novena (Novena to the Divine Mercy) , especially on the nine days before the Feast of Mercy.
Let us pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy for all our intentions. The Lord will have mercy and hear all our prayers.
The Chaplet of Mercy is recited using ordinary rosary beads of five decades.
Reciting the Chaplet of Divine Mercy
- Begin with the Sign of the Cross : In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
- Recite the Opening Prayer (optional) : You expired, Jesus, but the source of life gushed forth for souls, and the ocean of mercy opened up for this whole world. O Fount of Life, unfathomable Divine Mercy, envelop the whole world and empty yourself out upon us. O Blood and Water, which gushed forth from the Heart of Jesus as a fount of mercy for us, I trust in You! (three times)
- Say the “Our Father” : Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name; They kingdom come; Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen;
- Say the “Hail Mary” : Hail Mary, full of grace. The Lord is with you. Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.
- Say the Apostles’ Creed :
- I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth.
- I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord.
- He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary.
- He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried.
- He descended into hell. On the third day he rose again.
- He ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
- He will come again to judge the living and the dead.
- I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, And the life everlasting. Amen.
- Recite the “Eternal Father” prayer on the “Our Father” bead before each decade : Eternal Father, I offer you the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of your dearly beloved Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world.
- Say 10 “For the Sake of his Sorrowful Passion” on the “Hail Mary” beads of each decade : For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world. Recite this ten times.
- Repeat the above two prayers “Eternal Father” and “For the sake of his sorrowful Passion” for four more decades.
- After 5 decades, recite the concluding doxology (three times) : Holy God, Holy Mighty One, Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us and on the whole world.
- End with Closing Prayer (optional) : Eternal God, in whom mercy is endless, and the treasury of compassion inexhaustible; look kindly upon us, and increase your mercy in us, that in difficult moments, we might not despair, nor become despondent, but with great confidence, submit ourselves to your holy will , which is Love and Mercy itself. Amen.